Build your career in professional accounting
Curtin University is the only university in Western Australia to offer a masters degree that is integrated with the CPA Program. Through our Master of Commerce: Professional Accounting CPA Australia Extension Stream you have the opportunity to tailor your career and become an accountant in just two years. Plus, you’ll receive academic support while you prepare for the CPA Program’s external exams, giving you a head-start on attaining your CPA membership*.
This course is ideal if you’re aiming for a career in accounting, looking to progress to senior or management roles in your field or wanting to expand your skillset. It can be completed in two years of full-time study, with the option to study part-time. Units cover subjects such as corporation and taxation law, financial accounting, and management accounting.
*Note: Full CPA membership requires students to pass the CPA professional exams and have three years relevant work experience.
Australian experience: Master of Commerce student Neville
Why study Professional Accounting?
- You can step into the field of accounting for the first time or upgrade your working knowledge to obtain a qualification and expand your career prospects.
- Our courses expand your understanding and skills through theoretical study and real-life cases.
- Qualified accountants with professional knowledge and expertise experience upward mobility towards management roles in many organisations.
Hear what our students have to say
“After relocating to Australia to work with BHP, I learned the importance of CPA (Certified Practising Accountants) in the Australian workplace and decided to start the journey to become one. It was a challenge to study and work full-time and even more challenging to study something I was not familiar with. I nearly gave up during the second semester. It required strong commitment over the weekends, sacrificing my social life to invest in my qualification, but the course was fundamental to enable me to change career.”
Alexandra de Paiva
Professional Accounting: CPA Australia Extension Major (MCom)
The practical nature of the degree gave de Paiva the ability to apply knowledge from the classroom to her job. After graduating in 2007, she proceeded to complete her CPA qualification, a move that enabled her to take on a number of financial roles in resources companies.
The accountant occupation in Australia employs over 188,000 workers, and strong growth is predicted in the future. Accountants can work in many different industries, including professional, scientific and technical services; finance and insurance; and manufacturing.
Unemployment rate is below average, with most workers employed in full-time roles. Average earnings in Australia for full-time work is approximately $1,400 AUD per week, which is higher than the average.
The School of Accounting is committed to ensuring you’ll be industry-ready upon graduation. By studying accounting at CBS, you’ll graduate with the educational requirements needed to apply for membership to the following professional associations:
- CPA Australia
- Chartered Accountants of Australia and New Zealand
- Institute of Public Accounts (IPA)
Membership to these organisations will provide you with a wide range of benefits, from guaranteeing your expertise and providing international recognition, to widening your professional opportunities and network.
Postgraduate accounting courses
The School of Accounting offers a range of postgraduate degrees which may meet the professional requirements of various accounting bodies including CPA Australia and the Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand (CAANZ). To find out more please visit the various course pages below.
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Accounting
- Graduate Diploma in Professional Accounting
- Master of Accounting (CPA Australia Extension Studies)
- Master of Commerce (Professional Accounting: Accounting Foundation Stream)
- Master of Commerce (Professional Accounting: CPA Australia Extension Stream)
- Master of Commerce (Advanced Accounting: CPA Australia Extension Major)
Your top FAQs
- I have an undergraduate degree in another field, can I complete postgraduate study through the School of Accounting?
- What is the difference between the CPA Extension Stream and the Accounting Foundation Stream?
- When I graduate from the CPA Extension Stream at Curtin will I receive my CPA registration at the same time?
- If I won’t receive credits when I pass the Curtin CPA units, why would I enrol and pay for both the Masters program and the CPA Australia units?
Before you arrive
CBS is recognised as an elite global business school through accreditation by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) International.
Talk to us
Call + 61 8 9266 7331
Complete our course enquiry form and a Curtin international student advisor will contact you shortly.